Saturday, April 19, 2008

Sal, Sal, Sal!

"Sal" is Espanol for salt! The Yucatan produces about two thirds of all the salt consumed in Mexico. The Rio Lagarto area at the North East area of the state of Yucatan is where they produce it. Rio Lagarto is a large area and is best known for it’s bio reserve. A facility called “Las Coloradas” is the largest production center in the Yucatan. If you’d like to see more on this facility please click on this link http://www.isysa.com.mx/facility.htm

You are probably asking yourselves why am I talking about salt? Well, when we remodeled the casa we were advised to install a water softener system. It helps to keep the calcium deposits from building up on the fixtures, the tile and the interior of pipes. The system uses sal for the processing of the water. We use about twenty-five kilos (55 lbs) per week at about 43 pesos per twenty-five kilo bag or for my peso challenged friends $4.00US per bag.

I actually started out purchasing fifty kilo bags (110 lbs) but the old back started to protest and reminded me that all the body parts were supposed to be retired! LOL!
Each Monday I dump one bag into the plastic tub that holds the salt for the softener system. Every two months, give or take a couple weeks, I drive over to the Salinera warehouse and purchase ten bags.
This is me driving down Avenida Itzaes on my way to the warehouse.







Yes, my knee was on the steerring wheel! LOL!













This picture is the entrance to the warehouse area. It's called "Centro De Abastos" and it's a commercial area where many items such as fruit, flowers, vegetables, etc come into the city and then are sold and delivered from the area.




After entering the warehouse area there are rows of buildings with loading docks and serious activity going on. Since this is a wholesale area the activity is fierce in the mornings and slowly calms down as the day wears on.









All the produce, flowers, fruits, etc are trucked in from other parts of the Yucatan and surrounding states.



It's just fun to sit and watch all the goings on!

















It's a great place to explore but you need to stay out of the way so on to the salinera warehouse.

Here's the Taurus backed up to the dock ready to be loaded. The salt that I purchase is like rock salt.






The interior of the warehouse.



I have never asked how many different types or sizes of salt they have.
These are a couple of guys from the warehouse and they are preparing the mid day meal. I was invited to stay but since the preparations were just getting under way I didn't have the time to spare. Maybe next time!

This handsome man ("guapo" in espanol) is Ricardo who is the boss ("hefe" in espanol).

I feel fortunate meeting Ricardo as he is one of the nicest people I have met since moving here to Merida. He speaks pretty good ingles and he practices his ingles on me. I can only hope that one day my spanish will be as good as his ingles.



He is kind in allowing me to practice my limited spanish with him.






Well, after visiting and getting caught up he has one of his employees load up the salt and I'm ready to head back to the house and unload. Good to go for another two months.

Thanks Ricardo! Muchimos gracias!

4 comments:

JJ Yucatan said...

I enjoying reading your salt saga.

Shazam said...

Tom, thanks for the scoop on salt. We might/may/hope to move into our new Merida home any day now...once the workers move out. I think they like it as they are taking their sweet time. We'll need salt but it never occurred to us that we'd need to know where to go to get it. THANKS!

Anonymous said...

I second that emotion, Shazam. Great practical info, Tom, thanks.

ChicaFeliz said...

Holy Moly, Tom! That was almost more info on salt than a normal person can absorb! I'll be dreaming of salt tonight when I go to sleep. Keep both hands on the wheel when you drive and stop moochin' the workers lunch!